Monday, November 8, 2010

the gigantic kebab at 3 in the morning

When you travel, you discover food and stuff that locals would probably take for granted, but tourists would swear on their dear life, if it were their last supper. But since I am not going to be executed anytime soon, I would say this could be the best kebab you can munch on, if you want a real meat indulgence, and you are in Hong Kong.

Ebeneezer's Kebabs and Pizzaria is probably the best kebab I have tasted in a long time. Now, it would seem that the place is a mix of sorts of various food cultures, and it is. The kebab they serve is not in a stick. It is hand-wrapped pita bread, stuffed with shredded lamb or chicken with vegetables and the best grill sauce you will taste this side of the world. It looks like a burrito, but it taste nearer to a shawarma. So it's indian, with a mix of mexican and mediterranean all mashed up in one wonderful halal-certified place. And, as they claim, it is healthy food fare (if you eat only one, that is).





We ordered in this branch in Wan Chai which is in the bar district, and is really small, with just 3 small tables inside, so you really have to eat outside, standing or leaning against the railings. I didn't mind. It was 3 am, and all the guys with me were all drunk and loud. I was just sleepy and hungry, and a bit tipsy. You can order your side of beer with your order, and it is a pretty good combination, and it's available the whole day. The bad thing here is that, at 3 in the morning, this branch is packed and there is a long line. Apparently, this is what HK boys and girls munch on after a night of drunkenness and debauchery LOL.

I downed the 6 inch long kebab (wrapped in aluminum foil) with a diameter of a pringles can, in just 5 minutes. You know what? You can do that, because it is that good. What happened after that was a blur. I woke up in the hotel room, all packed up and ready to go. I didn't even remember packing, but my bags were all neatly lined up beside the tv, which was playing national geographic the whole time. Last night was a blur to me, but i remembered the kebab clearly. I would go back to HK, if only for this order of Kebab from Ebeneezer's. Or i could Fedex it to me. I think I can do that...

bigboy promises to get back to you soon with new news! nunus!

No comments:

Post a Comment