Saturday, December 4, 2010

Evil times and the basketball in the closet

When I was  really young, I always wondered if our planet were just a basketball in a boy's cabinet, sometimes jogged to use, sometimes flying out into a hoop, sometimes collecting dust and mold in the darkness of the cabinet, sometimes, being jabbed with the solid fangs of a playful puppy. Those "events" were my explanation on the weather changes, the earthquakes, the seasons, etc. Of course, now I know it is far from reality. But sometimes, I really wonder.

A few days ago, I ran into news articles where the UN declared the Philippines as one of the hotspots for climate change and will take the brunt of nature's fury in the next years - stronger earthquakes, more ferocious storms, floodings that won't clear for days, etc. And then I wondered, maybe my juvenile theory might have some truth to it - the Philippines might be in a spot in the basketball where it takes the most beatings, kids touching the area too often, dogs scratching it too much, peeing on it sometimes, the ball probably resting its full weight on the area where the country was located. It just might be true, after all.

Would it be too much to wonder and ask for simpler explanations for these future events? I still wonder, and the child in me forces me to think it through some more, while the adult in me dismisses it as rubbish.

It would be great to think that if this were the case, then there might be a slight chance that my counrty's fate might change soon - as soon as some other part of the ball starts taking more of the abuse that a basketball can take. It may sound foolish and selfish, but I wanted to think this can happen - if the world were a basketball.

But then, of course, it's not. Who knows? We might just be living in a volleyball instead, or a tennis ball. It might just be a different story if it were a different ball. What do you think?


bigboy promises to get back to you soon with new news! nunus!

No comments:

Post a Comment